did you know that according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) the air inside your home is more polluted than the air outside—up to 5 times more in some cases! We all know that seasonal allergens in the air (various pollens, etc.) can affect our health, but we forget about what’s in the air we breathe when we’re not outside. Having a well-maintained and clean HVAC system is vital to your family’s health. Luckily, there are a variety of ways to improve and maintain clean air in your home.
A Few Tips for Improved Air Quality
- Clear the air. To combat general odors such as those associated with pets, cooking, cleaning supplies, and paints (and other contaminants), consider upgrading or attaching an air purification system to your HVAC. Subsequently, an air purifier removes any odors/contaminants before they’re circulated back into your home.
- Consider the placement of the HVAC system. If you can, keep the unit out of the garage where it can pull additional contaminants (fumes, etc.) into the home from outside.
- Filter the air. An upgraded air filter or an additional air filtration system that works in tandem with your unit will help capture the smallest of contaminants. This keeps them from recirculating back into your house.
- Light ‘em up! Did you know that you can add UV lights to your HVAC system to destroy the majority of pollutants that potentially cause health problems? These UV lights destroy viruses, bacteria, mildew, mold, and other contaminants at the molecular level. This will ensure they can’t grow and spread through the air ducts.
- Clean them up! Make sure your air ducts are cleaned by a professional. This reduces contaminants in the air entering your home. Thus, it results in improved air quality.
If you’re concerned about the indoor air quality of your home, American Air Cares has qualified technicians ready to assist. American Air Cares is licensed and insured. Also, we are home-owned and operated. Most importantly, we have maintained and repaired HVAC units in Port St. Lucie and surrounding areas for over 25 years. Give us a call!