Call Us Today: 772-398-0023

Does Your Home Need A Dehumidifier?

Portable dehumidifier

From mold and mildew to warped wood and damaged, wet electronics– high humidity can cause havoc on your home. High humidity causes moisture to settle on surfaces and this can be just as damaging as sitting water. Florida is known for high humidity levels, but fortunately, having a dehumidifier in your home can negate many of these issues. In this post, we’re going to break down the basics of a dehumidifier and give you five warning signs that the air in your home is too humid.

What Is A Dehumidifier And How Does It Work?

A dehumidifier is an appliance that reduces and maintains the level of humidity in the air. It helps with air quality, makes the air more comfortable, eliminates musty odors and prevents the growth of mold and mildew.

While there are several kinds of dehumidifiers, the most common is a refrigerant style. It works by pulling moist air into the machine and overcooled coils. The moisture from the air condenses on the coils inside of the machine, pulling the moisture from the air before it cycles it back into the room. This lowers the overall humidity level in the air.

Warnings Signs That Your Home May Need A Dehumidifier

1. Mold Spots

Look at your bathroom ceiling and around the toilet, where mold spots can sometimes appear as little black dots. They may also be gray, brown or green in color. The bathroom is a common area for mold, because of our appreciation for steamy showers. However, mold and mildew can grow in any room of our home, especially in humid Florida. Mold is a breathing and health risk. Mycotoxins, which are found in mold, can cause respiratory problems, inflammation, and mental impairment. It can spread quickly, so it’s important to take action if you do find these spores taking up residence in your home.

2. Musty Smells

A dank musty odor can indicate mold growth, even if you can’t see it. It’s important to find the source and clean it properly to remove all spores. Circulate air, to help remove the smell and take action against moisture, so it doesn’t return. Musty smells are often an issue in garages and storage sheds, where air conditioners are less likely to be used. In those areas, a dehumidifier can be the best option for cleaner air.

3. Condensation

If you notice beads of water on windows or mirrors, there is too much moisture in the air. Condensation can lead to mold growth, causing the health issues mentioned above.

4. Rotting Wood

Wood that retains moisture for too long will start to rot. If not corrected in time, this can diminish the structural integrity of your home. Excess moisture can also damage drywall, window sealant, hardwood floors, and your foundation.

5. Allergies

If you struggle with itchy, watery eyes and runny nose, it could be because of the air quality in your home. Bacteria and mold can multiply when there’s excessive moisture in the air.

Your air conditioner should keep humidity at an acceptable level, around 40-50 percent. However, if you notice any of the signs above, a dehumidifier could be needed. Have your entire cooling system evaluated. It’s important to take action quickly before too much damage is done. Clean the area thoroughly to remove any remaining mold or mildew and use a dehumidifier, if necessary. By decreasing moisture in the air, you’ll notice better air quality. That means fewer mold spores and bacteria and a generally healthier home. To discuss the right appliance for you, speak with the professionals in air conditioning service in Port St. Lucie, and surrounding areas: American Air Cares.


call the Careman!

Get a FREE Service Call With Repair. Save $89 Instantly

The Careman American Air Care
State License #CAC057481