Would you stand by an open window and toss your hard-earned money into the street? Naturally, you say, “of course not!” However, if you are not getting your air conditioning unit serviced regularly, you could be doing the equivalent of throwing money away. Energy efficiency is key to keeping your utility bills at a manageable level, and American Air Cares can make sure that your home air conditioning system is running at peak efficiency for optimal savings.
The #1 Energy Expense for US Homes
With summers getting hotter every year, it’s no wonder that air conditioning has become the most significant energy expense for the majority of American homes. Cooling systems are being required to work harder and harder, but at American Air Cares, we believe that having them work smarter is the better way to go. The best thing you can do to make that happen is by getting your AC unit regularly serviced.
What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You
Even when your air conditioning unit appears to be functioning properly, problems may be developing, which can result in a negative impact on your system’s energy efficiency. That’s especially true in an environment like Port St. Lucie, FL, where air conditioning systems get heavy use. Annual service by professional HVAC technicians like American Air Cares can save you a bundle down the road, and ensure maximum energy efficiency from your system by:
- Detecting worn-out system components and replacing them with new ones
- Removing dirt and debris that prevents optimal airflow
- Verifying the proper calibration of your thermostat
- Checking that freon or other refrigerant is filled to system specifications
- Cleaning ductwork if needed
Help Us Help You
While annual AC tune-ups go a long way toward keeping your system using the least amount of energy possible, there are steps Port St. Lucie, FL, homeowners can take on their end. These will help you keep your indoor air quality at its maximum.
- Keep the area around your outdoor condenser unit clean – sweep or rake away any leaves, yard debris, etc., regularly
- Keep indoor vents free of obstruction – periodically take a vacuum cleaner to your air vents, and make sure curtains, furniture, or other objects aren’t blocking them
- Turn up your thermostat – even a slight upward adjustment (3-5 degrees) can make a measurable difference in your utility bills
- Keep lamps and other heat-producing appliances away from the thermostats – unless you like paying more money every month
- Block out the sun – during the warmer periods of the day, close curtains, and blinds
- Flush your drain line – one cup of chlorine bleach, rinsed with a gallon of water will keep your drain clear through the summer
- Insulate exposed ductwork – seal any leaks you can see with a specialized duct-sealing tape that is UL 181-rated
If your air conditioning unit is due for replacement, the good news is that the energy savings you’ll enjoy are exponentially greater than your old system could have produced on its best day! While an older air conditioning system could use up to 6 kWh of electricity to cool an average-sized house, a modern Energy Star system can cool that same space with less than 2 kWh of electricity. Your new system will also operate much more quietly than its predecessor and use a refrigerant that won’t contribute to ozone depletion. Call American Air Cares to discuss system size and cooling requirements for your home, and to get regular service to keep your new system running like a champ!